News About Malaysia Preparations For Asian Games

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2010 - Badminton' started by danielwong, Nov 8, 2010.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    no news update?
    hmm

2. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Friday November 19, 2010

The Star
    Koo-Tan beat Japan pair to move into semis

DEFENDING champions Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong assured Malaysia at least a bronze medal in badminton after storming into the semi-finals of the men’s doubles competition at the Tianhe Gymnasium yesterday.
    But Wong Mew Choo’s run ended when she crashed out in the quarter-finals of the women’s singles, losing 20-22, 11-21 to Japanese Eriko Hirose in a gruelling 40-minute match.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong lived dangerously to beat Japan’s Hirokatsu Hashimoto-Noriyasu Hirata 21-19, 13-21, 21-18 to set up a match today against Indonesian scratch pair Mohd Ahsan-Alven Yulianto for a place in the final.

The Indonesians ended China’s challenge in the men’s doubles by beating Guo Zhengdong-Xu Chen 14-21, 21-19, 21-16.
    Earlier, world champions Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng went down 16-21, 12-21 to South Koreans Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung.
    The Koreans will play against former world champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia in the other semi-final.
    Boon Heong was glad that they survived by the skin of their teeth.
    “We allowed them to take control of the game after we took a 7-1 lead in the first game.
    “That was our biggest mistake. We should have kept up our momentum,” he said.
    The Japanese closed the gap in the first game and were snapping at the heels of the Malaysians but, fortunately, Kien Keat-Boon Heong prevailed.
    The Japanese were stronger in the second game and led 11-8 in the rubber. But Kien Keat-Boon Heong steadily stepped up a gear to win the match.
    “At one point, I thought we were going to lose. But we stayed strong mentally to overcome the very tense situation in the decider. It’s a big relief to win,” said Boon Heong.
    On the match against Ahsan-Alven today, Boon Heong said: “They can sustain for long on court and they are quite crafty. We will be ready for them.”
    The 27-year-old Mew Choo was disappointed to let slip a chance to win at least a bronze in her final fling in the Asian Games.
    “Eriko was in top form today. I played well in the opening game but I just could not find a way to break her rhythm,” said the 2007 China Open champion, who has beaten the Japanese in five of their previous seven meetings.
    The first game was nail-biting with both Mew Choo and Eriko pushing each another to the limit.
    They locked horns again briefly in the second game before Eriko shifted into high gear to win the battle of endurance to set up a match against China’s Wang Xin.
    “She won the test of fitness today. It’s a pity to lose in this close manner,” said Mew Choo, who will turn her attention to qualification for the 2012 London Olympics.

3. danielwong

Salesman
    Published: Friday November 19, 2010 MYT 5:02:00 PM

The Star
    Chong Wei Faces Chen Jin In Semis

From Zulhilmi Supaat

GUANGZHOU: Malaysia's singles ace Datuk Lee Chong Wei will battle Chen Jin of China in the semi-finals tomorrow after defeating Thailand's Boonsak Ponsana in the men's singles quarter-finals match of the 16th Asian Games at the Tianhe Gymnasium here Friday.
    The world number one shuttler took 57 minutes to confirm his semi-finals berth, taming Ponsana 21-13, 21-17.
    In the men's team quarter-finals clash last Saturday, Ponsana defeated Chong Wei in a rubber set 9-21, 21-10 and 21-19.
    World number five Chen Jin thrashed Taiwan's Chou Tien Chen 21-19, 21-14 in today's quarter-finals.
    Chong Wei's head-to-head record against Chen Jin is 7:2, in favour of the Malaysian.
    At their last meeting in the Malaysia Open Super Series in January, Chong Wei, the reigning All England champion tamed current world champion Chen Jin in a rubber set 21-14, 16-21, 21-15.
    The Malaysian ace said he was confident of beating Ponsana in today's event after losing to the Thai in the team event.
    "I'm back again after a bout of fever. Against Chen Jin, it might be a tough fight," he told reporters here Friday.
    Chong Wei said he wanted to bag the Asian Games gold medal as the Guangzhou edition might be his last Asiad.
    "The Incheon edition in South Korea is four years from now. So now, it's the best time for me to grab the Asiad gold," he said.

4. danielwong

Salesman
    Asian Games: Sweet revenge for Chong Wei

NST, 20 Nov

LEE Chong Wei played with speed and precision yesterday to outclass Thailand's Boonsak Ponsana, the player who had upstaged him in the badminton team competition, to reach the semi-finals of the men's singles competition.
    The World No 1 showed silky strokes, though at times he was erratic, to record an impressive 21-13, 21-17 victory over the World No 6 in 33 minutes at the Tianhe Badminton Hall.

Chong Wei will today face China's world champion Chen Jin, who recorded a 21-19, 21-14 quarter-final victory over Taiwan's Chou Tien Chen, and if the Malaysian wins, he will appear in his first ever Asian Games final.

Although the 28-year-old played his best match so far in the Games, he was not satisfied with his performance.

"I gave an average performance but I think I had a good game. I was quick and confident," said the top seed, who showed no signs of the wrist injury he was reportedly carrying.

In the first game, Boonsak started aggressively by taking a 6-2 lead and then 8-6 as Chong Wei was slow to get going.

However, once Chong Wei found his groove, he was devastating with his powerful smashes and net play, going ahead 11-9 before winning 21-13.

In the second game, Boonsak managed to claw back by churning out some exceptional play to take an 11-8 lead but Chong Wei upped his pace to prevail,
    "I did not feel comfortable the last time I played Boonsak. This time, I worked out a more aggressive strategy. He was not prepared for my style of play.

"Previously, against him, my weakness was at the net. I worked on it before playing him today (yesterday). I won because I played fast and attacked him more in front at his side of the court," said Chong Wei, the winner of seven titles this year.

Chong Wei should start as favourite against Chen Jin, a player he has beaten seven times before, including in this year's Malaysia Open (quarter-finals) and Korea Open (semi-finals).

"It has been a while since I played Chen Jin. I am sure he has improved following his victory in this year's World Championships.

"I believe Chen Jin is also in confident mood after helping China win the team gold medal. But I am not concerned with what he may be feeling now. I will be prepared for tomorrow (today) and also for the final if I go that far," he added.

Meanwhile, South Korea's Park Sung Hwan ended Indonesian Taufik Hidayat's hopes of winning the singles title for the third consecutive time by beating the former Olympic champion 21-15, 21-16 in the quarter-finals.

Sung Hwan will play China's three-time world champion Lin Dan who beat Vietnam's Nguyen Tien Minh 21-9, 21-16.

Read more: Asian Games: Sweet revenge for Chong Wei http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/...eforChongWei/Article/index_html#ixzz15yQNnHCH

5. danielwong

Salesman
    Asian Games: Double glory awaits Koo-Tan

NST. 20 Nov 2010

KOO Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong stand a chance to become only the second Malaysian pair to retain the Asian Games men's doubles title after the defending champions reached the final at the Tianhe Gymnasium yesterday. The World No 2 were not at their best but it was enough to secure a 21-19, 21-16 victory over Indonesia's Alvent Yulianto Chandra-Mohammad Ahsan. The former All England champions will face Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan in the final today.

The Indonesian Olympic champions upstaged South Korea's Jung Jae Sung-Lee Yong Dae 21-15, 13-21, 21-18 in 49 minutes in the other semi-finals.

If Kien Keat-Boon Heong win the final, the top seeds will be the first Malaysian pair since Ng Boon Bee-Tan Yee Khan, who won the 1962 and 1966 editions, to retain the Asian Games doubles title.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong have beaten Markis-Hendra six times in their 10 previous meetings and the World No 2 will start as the favourites today.

"We did not play aggressive today (yesterday) as we want to save our energy for the final. We are confident of retaining the gold as we have beaten Markis-Hendra many times before," said Kien Keat yesterday.

Markis-Hendra, who have been struggling with their form due to injuries and illness, hope to give their professional careers a big boost by winning the gold after missing out in their maiden Asian Games appearance in Doha, four years ago.

"Markis and I knew we had to play one level higher to beat the Koreans as we have lost many times to them. We are happy to reach the final after missing out in the last edition," said Hendra.

The former world champions, who turned professionals after securing a release from the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) in February, have won only the Malaysian Open Gold event this year.

"Our performance has been erratic since turning pro because of injuries and illness. However, we are eager to come back stronger as we are fine now.

"As professionals, it is important to get good results and reaching the final here is good for us," he said.

In Doha, the World No 3 were then upstaged by Kien Keat-Boon Heong in the semi-finals.

"We defeated Kien Keat-Boon Heong in the Sea Games last year. But we have also lost to them many times. I think we have a 50 per cent chance of winning," added Hendra.

RESULTS -- Men's singles (Q-finals): Lee Chong Wei bt Boonsak Ponsana (Tha) 21-13, 21-17; Chen Jin (Chn) bt Chou Tien Chen (Tai) 21-19, 21-14; Park Sung Hwan (Kor) bt Taufik Hidayat (Ina) 21-15, 21-16; Lin Dan bt Nguyen Tien Minh (Vie) 21-9, 21-16.

Doubles (S-finals): Markis Kida-Hendra Setiawan (Ina) bt Jung Jae Sung-Lee Yong Dae (Kor)21-15, 13-21, 21-18; Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong bt Mohammad Ahsan-Alvent Yulianto Chandra (Ina) 21-19, 21-16.

Read more: Asian Games: Double glory awaits Koo-Tan http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/l_reoprj_rw/Article/index_html#ixzz15yQqlOov

6. danielwong

Salesman
    Asian Games: Koo-Tan miss out gold

NST 21 Nov

SO near, yet so far. Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong were so close to retaining their title and after winning the first game, they let it slip through.

Indonesia's Olympic champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan came back from a game down to beat the defending champions 16-21, 26-24, 21-19 at the Tianhe Gymnasium yesterday.

The World No 2 could have become only the second Malaysian pair to retain the men's doubles title since Ng Boon Bee-Tan Yee Khan in the 1962 and 1966 editions.

"We are sad that we lost after coming so close. But we are happy with our performance. It could have been our title but Markis-Hendra won this close battle," said Kien Keat yesterday.

"We were unable to close up the match in the crucial stages. Our best bet was to finish it in straight games as the second game was ours to take. But we just did not have the luck."

There was not much to separate both pairs in the first game as they took turns to exchange points but at 16-16, Kien Keat-Boon Heong decided on changing their strategy and it worked to their advantage.

Boon Heong, who looked sharper compared to Kien Keat throughout the match, contributed three straight points at the net before Markis-Hendra sent the shuttle wide twice to give the Malaysian pair the advantage.

In the second game, Kien Keat-Boon Heong were almost unstoppable with their powerful smashes and crafty play and soon found themselves up 11-9 before the break.

But Markis-Hendra, who turned professional in February, were also determined to win their first Asian Games gold and refused to surrender to the inspired Malaysian pair.

In a nail-biting second half of the game, Markis-Hendra, also former world champions, kept up the pace by levelling at 17-17 before taking a 20-18 lead.

But Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who won the Malaysian Open title about 10 months ago, made a comeback to save game point for the Indonesian pair to force deuce.

However, their inability to finish off two match point opportunities saw Markis-Hendra winning the second game 26-24.

Markis-Hendra turned in a brilliant performance in the third game by taking a 15-9 advantage before Kien Keat-Boon Heong managed to catch up at 16-16.

And with both level at 19-19, Kien Keat-Boon Heong made two costly mistakes to lose the gold.

Read more: Asian Games: Koo-Tan miss out gold http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/kjlwrjirek/Article#ixzz15yU2CZQw

7. danielwong

Salesman
    Asian Games: Chong Wei ready to deny Lin Dan

Read more: Asian Games: Chong Wei ready to deny Lin Dan http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/p_kekor_ml/Article#ixzz15yUEEXJh

LEE Chong Wei wants to end a 40-year Asian Games badminton singles gold drought for Malaysia while Lin Dan wants to complete a badminton grand slam. Today's men's singles final between the World No 1 and the three-time world champion is set to be an explosive affair with both hungry to set a new milestone for themselves.

Chong Wei made a miraculous recovery after a bad start to become the first Malaysian shuttler in 40 years to reach the Asian Games men's singles final at the Tianhe Gymnasium yesterday.

The World No 1 was made to work hard before securing a 14-21, 21-15, 21-7 victory over China's world champion Chen Jin in almost 60 minutes.

If Chong Wei wins gold today, the top seed will etch his name in history as the first Malaysian to do it since Datuk Punch Gunalan at the 1970 Bangkok Games.

As for Lin Dan, the Olympic champion demolished South Korea's Park Sung Hwan 21-14, 21-10 in 32 minutes to qualify for his second Asian Games final.

Only the Asian Games is left for Lin Dan to win after having won the world and Olympic titles.

Lin Dan will definitely want to make history in Guangzhou after failing to do so in the 2006 Doha edition.

As for Chong Wei, the victory over Chen Jin is a big boost to the top seed, who was down with injuries and illness during last week's team event.

"My target is only one ...to win the gold medal. I want to be the first Malaysian shuttler to do it after 40 years," said Chong Wei.

"I don't care who I meet as I will go all out to win. It is likely my last chance as I don't know whether I will still playing when the next Asian Games are held."

The 28-year-old is known for under-performing in priority

Read more: Asian Games: Chong Wei ready to deny Lin Dan http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/p_kekor_ml/Article#ixzz15yUZXrYZ

8. danielwong

Salesman
    Chong Wei goes down fighting

22 Nov, NST

LEE Chong Wei failed to end Malaysia's 40 year wait in the men's singles as China's Olympic champion Lin Dan finally won the Asian Games gold to complete a grand slam of titles at the Tianhe Gymnasium yesterday. Lin Dan, a three-time world and All England champion, defeated Chong Wei 21-13, 15-21, 21-10 in 72 minutes to extend his winning streak over the World No 1 at his own backyard.

The defeat means the Penang-born shuttler has yet to win a major tournament with an exception of the All England.

"I've done my best and I'm happy with my performance in view of my injuries. I carried on training despite being injured after the Commonwealth Games," said Chong Wei yesterday.

"It was tough in the third game as I started badly. I tried to catch up but I failed."

Chong Wei had suffered a wrist injury and also illness during the team event last weekend and winning a silver medal in the singles was a commendable effort.

Both players were deceptive in their play in the opening stages of the first game but Chong Wei had to work extra hard to earn the points over the inspired Lin Dan.

The intensity of the match was evident when Chong Wei had said something to Lin Dan at the net, which upset the China player, after earning his second point.

But two unforced errors by Chong Wei allowed Lin Dan to take an 11-6 lead at the halfway mark before coolly finishing off with a 21-13 win in 27 minutes.

The two-minute break after the first game worked wonders for Chong Wei as the All England champion played a near polished game to deceive his opponent on several occasions to find himself 11-6 up.

He continued to dominate but Lin Dan clawed his way back by earning six straight points to reduce the deficit by a point at 13-12.

However, Chong Wei kept his cool over a hasty Lin Dan, who made too many errors, to seal the game and force a rubber.

The gold, however, was for Lin Dan to lose in the third game as his tiring opponent could not do much to stop him from sealing the match.

Read more: Chong Wei goes down fighting http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/k_lweowej/Article#ixzz15yWPLJoT

9. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I'm just glad to see that NST did not mention injury as a factor for his loss to Lin Dan. (Although they just can't help mentioning it by mentioning the team event)

10. danielwong

Salesman
    Saturday November 20, 2010

The Star
    Final thrust for gold; Koo-Tan must raise game in showdown against Markis-Hendra

SENIOR SPORTS EDITOR Ng Weng Tuck
    REPORTERS Eric Samuel, Lim Teik Huat,
    Rajes Paul and Aftar Singh
    PIXMEN Glenn Guan, Chin Cheng Yeang

IT was not one of their best displays on court yesterday but it was still good enough for Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong to get into the men’s doubles final for the second time in the Asian Games.
    The top seeded Malaysians defeated Mohd Ahsan-Alven Yulianto of Indonesia 21-19, 21-16 in the semi-finals at the Tianhe Gymnasium.
    And the pair standing in their way from retaining the title are former Olympic and world champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia.
    Markis-Hendra rose to the occasion to beat an out-of-sorts Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung of South Korea 21-15, 13-21, 21-18 in a 49-minute erratic match.
    [​IMG] Turning on the style: Malaysia’s Koo Kien Keat (left) returning a shot as Tan Boon Heong looks on during their Asian Games men’s doubles semi-final match with Indonesia’s Mohd Ahsan-Alven Yulianto yesterday.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong, however, are aware that they need to raise their game a notch higher if they harbour hopes of beating the stronger Indonesian pair today.
    Boon Heong was happy to have reached the final despite not performing efficiently.
    “We are thrilled to be in the final again. It’s time to make history again,” said Boon Heong.
    If Kean Keat-Boon Heong succeed, they will be only the second Malaysian pair to win back-to-back Asian Games titles after Ng Boon Bee-Tan Yee Khan in the 1960s.
    “It was not our best game today. The shuttle was too slow and I was really uncomfortable with it and we had to resort to defensive play to take us through to the final,” said Boon Heong. Ahsan-Alven were not very strong opponents for the Malaysians and Kien Keat-Boon Heong almost paid the price for taking them lightly.
    The Indonesians relied on the Malaysians’ mistakes throughout the game but Kien Keat-Boon Heong hung on to romp home for victory.
    Kien Keat said that they certainly could not afford to play the same way in the final.
    “It will be much tougher against Markis-Hendra. I am not satisfied with the way I have been playing here thus far and I need to improve,” he said.
    “We are one step away from what we came here to do, which is to win the title. Tomorrow, it all depends on who has the stronger character and mentality on court.”
    Hendra and Markis said that it was their biggest achievement to enter the Asiad final after struggling to hit form since turning professional this year.
    “Our record is not so good against the Koreans, so it was a huge breakthrough for us to beat them here,” said Hendra. “It is not easy to train with only a handful of sparring partners. It takes great self-determination and strong desire to play as independent players.”
    Hendra said that he did not want to lose to the Malaysians once again in the Asian Games, after having been beaten by them in the semi-finals in Doha four years ago.
    “They (Kien Keat-Boon Heong) spoiled our Asiad debut and, this time, we hope to take our chances well.

11. danielwong

Salesman
    Saturday November 20, 2010

The Star
    Chong Wei sets up semis clash with world champion

THE sparkle is back in shuttler Lee Chong Wei’s eyes.
    Yesterday, the top seed found his touch at the net again and it proved crucial in his 21-13, 21-17 quarter-final victory over Thailand’s Boonsak Ponsana.
    And the 33-minute win allowed Chong Wei to check into the Asian Games men’s singles semi-finals for a second time.
    Chong Wei will take on world champion Chen Jin of China today for a place in the final and it promises to be one of the highlights of the Guangzhou Games badminton programme.
    Chen Jin overcame a strong and dogged challenge from Taiwan’s Chou Tien Chen for a 21-19, 21-14 win.
    A thriller is also on the cards in the other semi-final featuring Lin Dan of China and Park Sung-hwan of South Korea.
    Three-time world champion Lin Dan defeated Nguyen Tien Minh 21-9, 21-16 while Sung-hwan achieved a career high by chalking up a first-ever win – 21-15, 21-16 – over two-time Asian Games champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia.
    The win over Boonsak has boosted Chong Wei’s confidence following his shock defeat by the Thai in the first singles match of the team quarter-final tie last week.
    A determined Chong Wei showed more urgency in the win yesterday.
    “I was faster today and showed better control at the net than him. I grew in confidence after serving up several winners at the net and it made all the difference for me,” said the world No. 1.
    “It feel really good to beat him after the setback in the team event.”
    The Thai got off to an attacking start and it was neck-and-neck until 13-14 before Chong Wei powered home to take the first game.
    It was closer in the second game, with Boonsak pressing hard to break Chong Wei’s rhythm. It paid off as the Malaysian conceded a few easy points.
    Luckily, Chong Wei managed to snap out of an error-prone spell and make the semi-finals.
    Chong Wei has not played against Chen Jin since the Chinese won the World Championships title in Paris in August. “I have beaten him twice this year en route to winning the Malaysian Open and Korean Open titles.
    “But he may be more confident after winning the world title,” said Chong Wei.
    “This is the semi-finals of the Asian Games.
    “I may not be around for the next one ... so I will go all out.”

12. danielwong

Salesman
    Sunday November 21, 2010

The Star
    Koo-Tan surrender doubles crown to Indonesian pair

BOTH Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong went sprawling at the same time in trying to save the match and their precious Asian Games men’s doubles crown.
    The shuttle was out of their reach and Indonesians Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan were crowned as the new champions at the Tianhe Gymnasium yesterday.
    The Indonesians won the 58-minute slugfest 16-21, 26-24, 21-19 to complete their impressive collection of major titles after having won at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2007 World Championships.
    For the Malaysians, who let slip gold medal points twice in the second game, it was sheer frustration to settle for the silver medal in their second Asiad. They also let slip a golden opportunity to become the second Malaysian pair after Ng Boon Bee-Tan Yee Khan to retain the Asiad title.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong were dejected but they can at least be proud that they played their hearts out.
    “The Indonesians played well and were more daring than us. They took their chances well,” said Boon Heong.
    Added Kien Keat: “Before this match, I had played badly. But today, Boon Heong and I gave it our all, especially at the crucial times.
    “We fought hard and it’s disappointing to settle for silver. It should have been better. But overall, we do not regret with the way we played in losing the match.”
    Kien Keat lamented the chance they missed to nail the match in straight games.
    “We let it slip through our hands. Then, it was difficult for us to focus after they took a big lead in the rubber game. We managed to chase and even led but, eventually, it did not end in our favour,” he said.
    The match certainly kept the spectators on the edge of their seats.
    It was tooth-and-nail from the start in a fast-paced game, with both pairs waiting dangerously to lunge for winning smashes. It went on in the same tempo until they were tied at 16-16 before the Malaysians
    pulled away to win.
    Malaysia kept up with the same aggression in the second game to open up an 8-4 lead but the Indonesians refused to budge and tied the score at 12-12.
    Makis-Hendra took advantage of a disorganised Kien Keat-Boon Heong to force the decider.
    It looked as though the title would be easy pickings for the Indonesians in the third game when they raced to a 15-9 lead.
    But Kien Keat-Boon Heong refused to throw in the towel and levelled the score at 16-16.
    It was one of the most tense moments for both pairs but the Indonesians prevailed to nail the elusive title.

13. danielwong

Salesman
    Sunday November 21, 2010

The Star
    Fighting Chong Wei sets up showdown with Lin Dan

A STEELY Lee Chong Wei showed great hunger to come good in the Asian Games when he became the first Malaysian in 30 years to reach the men’s singles final at the Tianhe Gymnasium yesterday.
    The top seed staged a remarkable comeback to beat world champion Chen Jin of China 14-21, 21-15, 21-7 in a 60-minute semi-final match.
    Today, he will take on an even stronger Chinese opponent – and his nemesis – Lin Dan for the gold medal.
    Three-time world champion Lin Dan showed his determination to nail the only major title that has eluded him by outclassing South Korea’s Park Sung-hwan, winning their semi-final clash 21-14, 21-10 to the delight of the home fans.
    An equally pumped-up Chong Wei has vowed to end Malaysia’s long wait for an Asiad gold medal since Punch Gunalan’s feat at the 1970 Bangkok Games.
    Only two players have come close to winning the title – Rashid Sidek and Chong Wei, who took bronze in 1990 (Beijing) and 2006 (Doha) respectively.
    After his win over Chen Jin, Chong Wei looked to his coach Misbun Sidek and put his hand to his heart before blowing a kiss.
    “This win came from my heart. There has been great pressure being the number one and losing in the team event earlier. But today, I made up for it by reaching the final,” he said.
    “And this is not the end. I promise to give my best and will go out to win the title tomorrow.”
    Chong Wei added that he was patient enough to turn the tables on Chen Jin after the first-game setback.
    “I was very frustrated in the opening game. He had answers to all my attacking shots. I couldn’t do much,” he said.
    Chong Wei upped the tempo in the second game and made all the right attacking moves, but Chen Jin remained solid in defence.
    A patient Chong Wei did not give up and continue to pile on the pressure to eventually break the resolve of his opponent.
    A more determined and confident Chong Wei pressed on in the rubber game and even the strong support for Chen Jin from the home crowd could not douse the fire in the Malaysian.
    “I knew I had to stay patient to turn things around,” he said.
    On his opponent in the final today, Chong Wei said: “Lin Dan is a very strong opponent playing in his own den. I will not be too worried about him. I will focus on playing to my best.”
    Lin Dan wasn’t too bothered about who he will meet in the final.
    “I am happy to play against him (Chong Wei) again. Anyone who is playing against him will have to give his best. To me, it’s the same and I will try to do my best. I do not think too much about tomorrow’s outcome.”
    This year, Lin Dan thrashed Chong Wei in a Thomas Cup semi-final tie at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil but the Malaysian exacted revenge en route to winning the Japan Open title.
    A thriller in Guangzhou is certainly on the cards.

14. danielwong

Salesman
    Monday November 22, 2010

The Star
    Super Dan bags it all

THE world’s most celebrated men’s singles badminton player, Lin Dan of China, finally has it all.
    He fitted the final piece of the jigsaw in his immaculate career winnings by nailing the elusive Asian Games title in front of his adoring fans at the Tianhe Gymnasium yesterday.
    And “Super Dan” did it in super style, defeating world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei 21-13, 15-21, 21-10 in the final.
    And then he celebrated the victory in the only way he knew – letting out a loud cry, punching the air repeatedly and taking off his shirt to the deafening roars of the home crowd.
    And he did a little more yesterday after the usual salute. He threw his shoes and sweat-soaked shirt to the delirious crowd.
    With the triumph in the Guangzhou Asiad, the 27-year-old Olympic and three-time world champion has won all the major titles on offer in world badminton.
    As for Chong Wei, his losing streak against Lin Dan on China soil continued and his hopes of becoming the first Malaysian men’s singles champion in 40 years at the Asian Games went up in smoke.
    Punch Gunalan won the last Malaysian gold medal in the event at the 1970 Games in Bangkok.
    Chong Wei was too disappointed and distraught to turn up for the post-match media conference. Said team manager Datuk Maijol Mahap: “He is sitting at a corner. The defeat was too disappointing for him.
    Please let him be, for now.”
    A thrilled Lin Dan, however, took his time to answer all the questions thrown at him.
    “I have reached my target.
    “I have won all the major titles that a player can win. This is really a wonderful moment for me,” he said.
    “Of all the titles that I have won, the 2004 Thomas Cup Finals, however, will hold a special spot for me. It was the beginning of my rise as a player. And the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games was an important one too.”
    Although buoyed by his exploits, Lin Dan gave due credit to Chong Wei’s fighting spirit yesterday.
    “This is my best Asian Games final. There was pressure on both of us. We played well even though it was so tough. Honestly, I was the lucky one to win.
    “I give my due respect to Chong Wei. He really fought very hard today.”
    Lin Dan showed he was much superior in the first game with his stronger attack taking him to an 11-6 lead.
    Chong Wei came back from the game break with his brilliant deceptive shots to take three consecutive points but Lin Dan replied with a flurry of smashes to extend his lead to 15-9.
    The Malaysian tried to break Lin Dan’s momentum but, in his haste, made too many mistakes to hand the game to his pumped up rival.
    Chong Wei upped the tempo in the second game as Lin Dan appeared to take his foot off the pedal to allow the Malaysian to force a decider.
    Lin Dan was devastating in the rubber game, leading 11-4 at the game break before romping home for the gold medal.

15. danielwong

Salesman
    Monday November 22, 2010

The Star
    It’s a double blow for Arsenal fan Rexy

COACH Rexy Mainaky suffered a double blow on Saturday as he watched his favourite players from two sports losing after enjoying good starts.
    First, his blue-eyed boys in badminton – Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong – failed in the defence of the Asian Games men’s doubles title.
    Then, his favourite football team – Arsenal – went down 2-3 to Tottenham Hotspur in an English Premier League match.
    And Rexy said yesterday that it was not that Kien Keat-Boon Heong and Arsenal did not have the skills to win their matches, but “it was just luck that deserted them”.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong held the gold medal match point twice in the second game at 23-22 and 24-23 of a thrilling final against Indonesians Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan.
    But they just could not finish off the match. In the end, they paid the price and lost 21-16, 24-26, 19-21.
    Rexy then turned on the television to watch Arsenal go 2-0 up before ending up 2-3 losers to Tottenham in the London derby.
    Rexy said that Kien Keat-Boon Heong saved their best for the last in the Guangzhou Asiad but lamented that luck was just not on their side.
    “It was just like in a football match. A team can be good but just can’t get the ball into the net. Koo and Tan made the right moves but the result did not go their way,” he said.
    “Due credit should be given to Markis and Hendra for staying cool in very tense situations.
    “It showed their experience as the former world and Olympic champions.”
    Rexy added that he was satisfied to see Kien Keat-Boon Heong producing consistently good results over the last six months.
    They emerged as runners-up in the world championships and Japan Open and did well to contribute two gold medals (mixed team and men’s doubles) for Malaysia at the Delhi Commonwealth Games last month.
    “Of course, it would have been nice if they had won here.
    “But I am pleased with their show of determination.
    “It was their best performance in Guangzhou,” said Rexy.
    “If they continue to have great hunger to win the major titles, they will just get better at it.
    “I won four gold medals in the Asian Games series and I have the confidence that Koo and Tan can do the same as they still have many good years ahead of them.
    “Their main goal next year is the world championships (in London) and I would also like to see them winning the All-England for a second time.
    “This will put them on the right track for the 2012 London Olympics.”
    Meanwhile, Kien Keat-Boon Heong have dropped to second spot in the world after skipping the Super Series tournaments in Denmark and France. Denmark’s Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen, who won both tournaments, are the No. 1 for the first time.

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

It's a blow for me that night too...