what shuttles you guys prefer?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Kevin, May 27, 2002.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I've got a 20 year old hand made indian feather shuttle but I'm not sure whether to use it or put it on display! :D

2. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

For shuttles, i love playing with the Ashaway Red Tournament feathers. They are a good, well made shuttle and a cheap price too at £8 per tube. A quality shuttle with a great flight...

Attached Files:

3. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    BUT.....!

BUT.....

The best shuttle i have EVER played with are the RSL No 1 tournament shuttle. They don't come cheap at £13 per tube, but the flight and feel of them is AMAZING. They are a quailty feather and they are nothing like i have ever played with. They are surprisingly durable too, lasting during extra long and powerful rallies. So the best shuttle i have ever played with are these, and if i haven't ever played with these, i suggest you a buy a tube and give them a try. They are amazing...

Matt

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    The RSL Shuttle

Here is what they look like...

Matt

Attached Files:

• rsl.jpg
      rsl.jpg
      File size:
      10.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Regular Member

KGB spy
    Shuttles

Here is the list of feathered shuttles i've used:

Tronex
    Yonex AS 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50
    Carlton AG Pro 10, 10 and Hi Vis
    Sea Lion (the IBF approved ones)
    Ashaway (the Blue tube and Black Tube)
    RSL Tourney 1 and Silver Feather

Hey these are just a number that i remembered playing with, the RSL Tourney 1 i had was weired because the glue even covered the Feathered Tips so i gave up buying them as they affected the flight of the shuttle (shuttle fails to arc in a nice manner). My friend funnily enough brought a half tube of Silver feathered RSL ones (from HK) and i was impressed as the flight was good and they are also durable. AG Pro 10 are good but are not as durable as the Yonex 40's and 50's. Sea Lion wasn't actually bad i tried those out and they actually last pretty long, funnily enough when the shuttle has been wasted, it dosen't fly all wonky in the air but the flight of the shuttle just goes all slow. I tried the Tronex was they are good but need to be replaced alot. Thats the same with the Ashaway ones too. In terms of a look of shuttle i think Carlton made a brave step bringing out the HI-Vis ones but i doubt everyone will accept it. Generally i buy Yonex AS 40's as they are good quality and they don't break the bank as much as AS 50's, i practice with the AS 20's. Oh and Plastics i use either Carlton 800 or Yonex 370 (the closest you could get to a feel of a feathered shuttle)

The difference between the AS 50's is the way that its made and the flight, i found that the glue that is applied is very fine on the AS 50's rather than the AS-10's (glue is lumpy and just slapped on)

6. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    The RSL tourney 1 tube is one of my favourites too. I got some of those
    half tubes. Lasts very long, plays nice.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for US$30/tube. no one can afford to buy them, so they are effectively so.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i just started using YangYang 300B, bought a whole box (25 tubes) the other day. feels quite snappy and solid, though not as solid as the AS-50, but at least it is towards the right direction, and longevity is ok too.

i was using HiQua Blue previously, and after using the AS-50, i noticed that the Blue is too mushy.

9. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

kwun Mate,

How long would ur 25 boxes last? When i used to train real hard.. i.e Wanting to try to become a Pro kind of thing i used to use 3 yonex shuttles Per session. It depends on whom u play with(better or worse). Abt 2 shuttles will be used for training and one for games in a 3 Hr morning session. so I will blow up a Box in abt 2.5 days or 3 if i am very conservative.

So 25 boxes will last me something like 2 Months Max. I have found out that Shoes and Shuttles are The Biggest Cost to the game! Rackets u can manage with 3 for a whole yr uless U beat them up badly or string it high tensions or the stringer breaks it.

Shoes have to be changed every 3 months and Insoles every 30 days!

So if u can keep a tab of how u blew ur 25 boxes then it will be Gr8 help to me! Thanks mate

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it really depends. we reuse old birdies for training. and when we play games, everyone pitches in so i only spend around 1-2 match. i only play 3 times a week, one day training. my gf and i share them and she kill birdie much slower than i do. so i'd say around 1-2 tubes/week. not too much. 25 tubes will last around 3-4 months for the two of us...

11. modious

modious Regular Member

I've not tried HiQua before, but the Yang Yang Tatic 300B are pretty good shuttles. I can get them for S$19 and can save about S$3-5 (rather than buying AS-50).

12. Californian

Californian Regular Member

At the Orange County Badminton Club, a US national training center, you are REQUIRED to use THEIR shuttles. They are sold at their pro shop in a tube with the club name printed on it, and the club logo is on the cork sticker. There is a sign posted in the club stating that if you are caught using any other shuttle, you will be told to leave and your membership will be permanently revoked.

Now I realize this is done to bring in cash for the club, but it just struck me as a little extreme. Do any of your clubs outside the US do this?

I don't know who manufactures the OCBC shuttles, but they did not seem to be as good as Yonex.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's very extreme. But is the price of a shuttle exhorbitant?

#53 Cheung, Jun 21, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2002
  14. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    I would say screw em, that is FAR too extreme! I have never heard of anythin like that, pathetic. How much are these shuttles per tube?

Matt

15. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

Californian: Would they consider charging "corkage" if you want to use your own shuttles?

;)

16. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I've only been there a couple of times--once to watch the US Nationals, and once to play in a Yonex-sponsored tournament. In the tournament I played, they supplied each match with two free Yonex shuttles. In one long, hard singles match I played, we used up the freebies and had to buy the club shuttles. The per-shuttle price was about $1.60--not too bad (I just purchased a tube of 12 HiQuas for $13.00 at the San Gabriel club). We ended up having to use three club birds to finish the match.

That's one of those rules that probably isn't enforced often. After all, I'm sure they don't go around checking everyone's shuttles. Still, the rule is there, and if you happen to play the wrong person, you could get called on it.

17. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Shuttles..

Unfortunately, we share the same as our fellow cattle-loving aussies and use not so good shuttles..although not epsilon, we use Green Pine..(dunno if better or worse compared to Epsilon) You guys in Australia used Green pine b4? It's not bad..not that great either..so-so..

But when I played in the NZ Open, I think we used the Yonex Tournament shuttles, I like it!!!! It even made me look like a semi-pro player :) heh..i.e a few drops and net shots that just touched the net and roll over :) ..better control and manipulation plus it doesn't get ruffled too easily when hitting slice shots with them.

When I used to play back in Malaysia..ages ago..when the dinasours roam, we use RSL shuttles..the orange ones I think..and sometimes the light green one.

But it's true what they say..once you've gone feather, you won't go back to plastic / synthetic/ nylon..

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Feather rules.

19. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Currently:
    Victor Champion (green)
    Winex Tournament

Have used:
    Sosan Black
    Lee's Club (Green)
    Hi Qua Blue/Red
    Victor Eagle (light blue)
    Sea Lion (can't remember which label)
    Prokennex

Prefer current shuttles.

Yonex shuttles are just too expensive here

20. modious

modious Regular Member

I recently tried CN Aplha (Gold) shuttles and they're very good!
    It cost around the same price as the Yonex AS40 but the CN Alpha seems to be more durable.