Recorded myself stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by akatsuki2104, May 22, 2023.

1. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I will try that tomorrow with Aerobite at 13kg. Let's see if the clamp can holp up the 0,61mm or will it slip :eek:

2. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I watched him tie his knot again. He clamps the 2nd cross, oppisite the tail of his first cross. Pulls tension in his first cross then ties. Pulls the 2nd cross near his knot then clamps. There is no tension in his clamp on the 2nd cross away from his knot, basically 2 clamps on the 2nd cross at that point. Should he pull cross 1 and 2 to at least get some reference tension, then pull cross 1 and tie, or when he pulls his 2nd cross after tying, release the far clamp to get some tension inbetween the teeth with no tension. I tried clamping #2 cross pull #1 cross, tie, pull cross #2 and then released my far clamp to get full tension in the second cross. I guess my worry would be at a higher tension I would be pulling on my knot tied to my main, the whole reason I switched to the Mark Lawrence way of starting my crosses. I used a set of string to also pull cross 1 and 2 to get reference tension at least in the clamp away from the knot, which I am still not getting full tension in the cross. I am not a string waster anymore so having tails long enough to pull, I can only see myself doing the release the far clamp to get tension a usable style, not too keen on higher tension doing this way. It was interesting, but wasting too much string. As a tournament stringer he kinda relies on his awl as a string mover on all the shared holes. If I see a customer racket I know I probably am the only stringer who has strung it, I rarely use a string mover, the string memory is consistent on all my rackets. The clamps during after the first 3 crosses is an amazing trick, just getting used to it, but it makes going all the way through the cross so much easier, I thank him for that! Someone is might have a trick to making stringing easier for others, so I appreciate his video and teaching me something useful. I will let him know too!

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I always cut the tails off AFTER releasing clamps for your very concerns of possible knot slippage. "After" could also mean upon completion of the entire racket where you cut off all the tails for knots.

kakinami and akatsuki2104 like this.
  4. akatsuki2104

I tried his method at 13kg. It looked fine to me and clamps hold up. I find it more convenient than blocking with a starting knot like you do. Both your method and his have the advantage of having 4 finishing knots which looks neat !

Edit : Looking back at it, I now understand what you meant about the "no tension" in the clamp. I will carefully look at it next time

5. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Why no double pull (same as on the first two mains) with the crosses first and set the clamp which must hold the tension?
    Yes, you need for that a lot of string... But I think its maybe a good way to start the crosses.

What bothers me much more is the distance from the clamps to the frame. Just one example:
    Screenshot from 2024-02-23 10-17-46.png
    The clamps can definitely be placed closer to the frame.

Maybe I'm too picky...

#45 Alex82, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    kakinami, akatsuki2104 and DarthHowie like this.
  6. DarthHowie

both your logic and alan's regarding double pulling to start cross makes sense to ensure there is tension on the clamp that will be the "anchor" point when re-tensioning the other main/cross. Otherwise there's a risk of the outer coating of the string getting damaged (especially thin ones under higher tension).

As for the clamping distance to frame. You are not being picky, as that would bother me too.

7. DarthHowie

Yes, I was wondering why you didn't release the original clamp with no tension so that the wise would continue pulling before you clamp the 2nd cross.

If you do this that's where I believe Alan was concerned in high tension scenarios that the tensioner could further pull the 1st cross with the knot. Please correct me if i'm not understanding the risk.

kakinami likes this.
  8. akatsuki2104

Yes, for me, that was my concern as well. At the end I think Alan's method with a starting clamp would be better for high tension

kakinami likes this.
  9. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

It is actually Mark Lawrence method, I stole from him, but we use all the time in the tennis community, just not in the badminton community, so the OG is Mark Lawrence for starting this technique, he deserves the street cred fo dis one.

DarthHowie and akatsuki2104 like this.
  10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Too picky =P

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Understood my risk =P

12. Canadaguyy

Canadaguyy Regular Member

Is there a video that shows how to do Alans method? I know you have to use the starting clamp instead of doing the knot on the start of crosses but idk when that I would need to tie it

kakinami likes this.
  13. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I clamp my tail and then pull first 3 crosses then that can free up my clamp to tension my tail and tie, then finish, this way I feel like I wont pull on my knot, my clamp is on the 3rd cross as it is holding tension and a safety against any more force on my knot. This is my latest video, but was thinking about doing one with the lower tension without a starting clamp, I was looking for an apron to look pretty in =P

14. Canadaguyy

Should I use this method for lower tension aswell?

kakinami likes this.
  15. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I kinda like that Korean guys method, I just release the clamp away from my knot when I pull tension on my second cross. He clamps away from his tail on the 2nd cross then pulls tension in first cross then ties. Then he tensions his second cross and clamps, but his far clamp doesnt have the full tension, so I release before I clamp the 2nd cross after the knot. If I were to use a set or waste string I pull the first and second crosses at the same time and clamp the 2nd cross away from my tail. Tension the first cross then knot. Then pull second cross and release the clamp on the far side away from the tension head, then clamp the 2nd cross close to the tension head, then finish if that makes sense.

16. Canadaguyy

Do you recommend I use your method or his method? Do they both work for low and high tensions aswell? Thanks

kakinami likes this.
  17. Canadaguyy

I will give the korean’s method a try. I used to knot first and then pull the 2 first crosses at the same time. I think thats fine for lower tensions but may cause a problem for higher tensions

kakinami likes this.
  18. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I recommend whatever feels best for you, I think both are ok for lower tensions, but I would recommend ifyou use his to release the clamp with no tension to get tension. I personally like his better, 1 less thing to do.

Canadaguyy and akatsuki2104 like this.
  19. Canadaguyy

T
    Release it once the second cross is pulled?

kakinami likes this.
  20. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

If you are using a set or you pull long on your cross, I would pull both strings cross 1 and 2 at the same time then clamp cross 2 at the far end. Pull cross 1 then tie. Pull cross 2, release far clamp, clamp close to tension head, then finish. If you pull short on your cross on purpose to save string on your reel like I do, I would clamp cross 2 on far side. Pull cross 1 (since my tail is short I use starting clamp as an extention) then tie. Pull cross #2, release far clamp then clamp close to tension head and then finish. Make sense?