2016 Celcom Axiata MALAYSIA Open SS Premier : Quarter Finals

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open/ Singapore Open/ China Masters 2016' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lin Dan congratulated JOJ at BWF World Championships 2015 and didn't complain about anything.

I believe he felt cheated this time.

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Really? I see it differently. I don't care so much about him tanking the last few points (like some do here); not a big deal I think.
    But I thought the accusations were bordering on bringing the game into disrepute. In fact, I'm afraid that BWF may actually take issue with that.
    His accusations were pretty serious, basically corruption on the part of some match officials, e.g. service judge.

Edit:
    And about JOJ crushing LD, in turn being crushed by LCW, we all know this is pretty common, does not mean that LCW will crush LD. Each match is to be taken separately.

3. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Please once again I am begging everyone. I am begging so desperately now. I am a great fan of Lin Dan too I must admit. But then for the sake of maintaining peace in this forum can all of us please stop talking about the lose of Lin Dan in the quarterfinals and no more comments about it please.

And so sorry for playing the bad guy role here. But It is getting serious now. Bickering and arguing over Lin Dan lost in the quarterfinals will stir up unnecessary arguments and lead to endless fighting. Why not all of us just look forward to tomorrow finals? I am sure there will be lots of exciting matches for us to watch tomorrow. Thank you.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Gentlemen, just agree to disagree.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid your last para. missed my point. I was implying that Lin Dan played the way he did in protest, particularly G2.

Precisely, it's a serious accusation. Why else would Lin Dan make those statements publicly knowing they'd be reported in the press ? BWF has to look into it and respond accordingly, no way of avoiding the issue anymore.

Even Li Yongbo who has been known to be outspoken, occasionally blunt (some say he's proud and arrogant), won't say anything about BWF recklessly without careful deliberation. Much less would we expect Lin Dan to shoot his mouth off without thinking of the consequences and eat humble pie. As we know, since London 2012 OG, Lin Dan has transformed into such a gentleman, diplomatic and tactful, careful about projecting the right public image, often has kind words to say about his opponent - surely he won't do anything detrimental to himself now, certainly not before Rio'16. Enough said.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

OK, fine, let's agree to disagree.

7. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Personally i am not in favour of the current ruling that serving above the waist is a fault. The waist line level may differ with the service judge making it very subjective.

A 1mm visual difference in the waistline can make a difference btw a service fault and a normal serve. It doesn't help that the court official's call is always final and there is absolutely no channel for recourse. This , imo, can affects the players rhythm and play, it gives an opening for errant officials to make funny calls.

I always thought that rules exist to define the boundaries, ensure fair play and set clear context of what can and cannot be done.

Having such an ambiguous rule, imo, does not help to improve the game; it may create more controversy and discontent instead.

Agree that the rule should be reviewed and come up with a method to ensure consistency in the definition of waist level.

#667 nizze, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the waist level is defined at the bottom rib.

unfortunately, that's a useless definition as the bottom rib cannot be seen by the service judge.

9. nizze

nizze Regular Member

That's the issue. So it really depends on the service judge's visual estimation of the lowest rib. This is where the inconsistency and ambiguity lies.

10. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    That's true.. Not just that.. Different people could have different rib height. Which could open to more argument. Nevertheless, probably this Lin Dan problem could create some revision to the rules in some way..

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  12. nizze

nizze Regular Member

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Forget about service judge analysing the waistline! Perhaps draw a line below the top of the net and have technology to beep if racket head is above it at serve point. That way, players no longer at the mercy of the sj. Sj still has the privilege of judging the racket head is pointing downwards...

nizze likes this.
  14. nizze

nizze Regular Member

This is a good idea! To use technology to ensure consistency. Something like hawkeye.

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I was thinking how do sj judge players with no waist like Hoon Thien How? Although he s my favorite MD player, so cool, never panic, can partner any other MD, such a wasted talent for MAS, probably won't pass the Frost mandated fitness test. MAS should just include him in the Thomas Cup for the one or two crucial surprise tie.

Sakera likes this.
  17. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

LD lost on accuracy and it s not surprising when he tried to dual task; play and service judge supervising at the same time. When a player loses focus, even for split seconds, they lose, super quickly. That's what happened to MAS and KOR MD in India Open?
    And LD should apologize to JOJ, for implying JOJ had to play tricks to defeat him. JOJ has beaten LD In MAS Open before and after being beaten by LD in AE, surely he would have done his homework to reverse the outcome. Nowadays upsets are common. The winner, usually the one with the surprise tactics and unexpected, improved skills.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

If JOJ has been serving like this for all these years playing against other players and LD, and no one ever complained in the past, so why should his serve now be a problem for LD?

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

We cannot fix an absolute height for service, because players have different height themselves. The correct height must be determined in accordance with the size of the server.

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

It is not a joke but a very plain fact. All great champions are sore losers I dare say, but some don't let it show. There can be only one number 1.