SportChek stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kingkong, Dec 18, 2002.

1. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Thank you all for your warm replies. I think I will try out the Brown's Sports or at least give them a call. Since I am only a beginner, my string job is not too demanding with a BG 66 at 21lbs. I also dont mind paying a few extra bucks as driving to Markham is 18 bucks on fuel!!! Thank you once again^^:D

By the way, does any of these places sell badminton grips? ^^?:D

2. InitialCv

InitialCv New Member

Hey man i brought in a armortec 700 and had it strung at 22 pounds... about a few days later they called back and said they broke my racquet...... I brkoe out in rage and started using profanity and foul language.. soo i reccomend u dont. They have nice machines but the ppl just arnt trained

3. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I don't live where you do, but my cousins live in missasauga (near Credit Valley I think was the area) and they don't do any retail chain stores for their stringing jobs anymore. I don't remember if it was a sportscheck specifically, so correct me if I'm wrong-- they've gotten bad jobs done at Square One mall and Erin Mills towncentre.

One time, all the inside parts of the top grommets were mysteriously cut off (probablly from trying to load a badminton racket into a tennis mounting...) and another time, the strining pattern was wrong.

4. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Sporchek does not know how to string badminton racquets

period.:D

5. reflex

reflex Regular Member

wow that's gotta suck? what's sportchek's policy on these kind of things? do they pay you back the value of your racquet?

6. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    sportchek's policy is ...

Equal value or less.

In return, sportchek gave initialcv a blackknight.

7. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Not just sportschek... Any general sports store where the so called racketsports man is just some kid who works there part time. They're salespeople, not players-- if you,re lucky, they can recite bits of text from the catalogues to impress you. If you're luckier, maybe they play tennis. But actual badminton players in the racket department of the vast majority of sports stores are few and far apart.

One time, a friend (who doesn't play badminton) went to buy an overgrip at a local chain store (Sports "Experts") for his girlfriend and surprise her. Her grip was totally mangled from a long and good lifetime of service. And they offered free service to put it on (whopee! what great service!) but they put it on backwards (for a left handed person). Note that she wasn't left handed. And when we asked them why they did it they said it's just the handle, it doesn't matter-- it was a Black Knight Tuf Grip, the one with the huge ripples on it, so beleive me, it mattered.

So, a retail chainshop that doesn't know left from right is supposed to be trusted with a high-tension machine, and my, and i emphasize *MY*, racket?

Yes, I know that we're talking Sportscheck and not Sports Experts-- but I could rant a whole pageful at least about how this is the problem with modern chain stores of any sort, nevermind just badminton.

You've heard horror stories everywhere... listen to Cappy75's advice, he sums it up best: JUST SAY NO. (to stringing at a retail chain store)

8. InitialCv

InitialCv New Member

Its ok now b.c i sent my racquet in to yonex and indeed it was a defect but sport chek still does not have the right training to train racquets and they tried to string my racquet 1 piece starting the crosses frombottom up, but the key word it TRIED...dont trust them

9. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    '

Spork chek's policy sucks hard.

They gave him a black knight in return.

It would have been better if they give him back an AT700 with some string money atleast.

10. TheRisingX

TheRisingX Regular Member

guys know if sportchek stores in vancouver, bc do okay stringing?

11. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

May I ask how much does SportChek charge for stringing? Say the BG-65???

12. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    stay away from sport chek!!!!

for vancouver: just follow cooler's link.... Tad's is the first that comes to my mind or the proshops at C1 and VRC

13. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

sportscheck stringing

they broke my BKi920 :mad: . and I wasn't asking uber high tension. only 24lbs, which is withing the range prescribe on the racquet. and they dodge responsibility by saying that it was crack previously, mis-hit, too high of a tension, blah blah blah. I think the guy there strung the cross 1st before the main (u should string the main 1st then the cross isn't it?). this racquet has been strung 4 times all w/ bg 65 Ti @24 lbs w/ no problem.

I'm wasn't too happy w/ the last job my normal stringer did, so I venture to sportcheck (that's the only one in town without travelling anywhere). and now it has costed me $200 for new racquet.

the actual convo: me = M stringer = G

g: how long u own the racquet?
    m: ~ a year
    g: it was strung 24 lbs all the time?
    m: yeah
    g: about time it broke.
    m: not possible it's only a year and it's been restrung 4 times @24 lbs with no problem
    g: mishit, blah blah blah. I know ppl w. 18 lbs and have the racquet for 10 years.
    m: 18 lbs is noodle, doesn't cut it for me
    g: obviuously u r a better player than avg. try bk for warranty.
    m: but u broke it...
    g: we're not responsible when it come to that high of a tension
    m: it's withing the range written on the racquet
    g: I can't do nothing more. i just work here. try bk for warranty

then off he go to the back... at least they return my $30 for stringing cost. the other guy that I ussually go to costing me $20 in stringin labour and only uses BG65. if I have my own string it costing me $40 a string job...:mad: :eek:

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    See if you tell them you can take legal action if they do not admit their mistake. That might get their attention.

15. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

for $200 is so not worth the hassle and time I spent for it going to court. lesson learned: never go to chain retailer for stringin job. privately owned stores you have better chance. even if your stringer last job for you is not so good according to you still go to him/her rather than spending $200-ish on new racquet.

PS: thanks admin for moving my post. sorry for posting on the wrond section

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's hard to determine how "good" the condition of a racket, prior to this string job. Unless you caught the stringer doing someting totally wrong right on the spot (on tape, etc), otherwise, hard to apply any actions. :cool:

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I doubt this model even came out 10 years ago... :p

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Not quite. First of all, there have been several cases where Sport Check has messed up badminton rackets. Could they all been in non-good condition prior to the string job? Doubt it.

The other is, there was one thread (I forgot), about another canadian shop (Shoe Strings I believe it is) that strung and broke a racket.
    The store first denied the mistake at first however the owner confronted them because there was evidence it had not been stringed properly as other forum members posted in that thread to observe the pictures. After that, the store admitted then replaced the racket.

#38 Matt, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My previous post was NOT intend to define sport chek or any chain stores. Myself heard some sad stories locally, regarding how the big chains screw up ppl's racket.

All I was trying to say, is that it's very hard to determine who's at fault for a racket's breakage. If the chain plays tough, you can't accuse them for your case, because their reputation or history or what so ever. The reason sometimes they do pay for the loss is either that you are lucky enough to meet a nice manager, or more likely they want to settle the case, to protect their own image/reputation as a big corp.

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Ahh I see what you mean.

Well a store should of inspected a racket ahead before the work is to be done due to legal reasons. If they did not, they can be sued and will lose in court if the racket broke. One reason is that the store cannot prove that the racket was already damaged before they worked on it.

#40 Matt, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2006